[R-SIG-Mac] Totally frozen Gui and Forced Quit does not resolve.

Joseph Kunkel jkunkel1 at une.edu
Mon Dec 19 15:29:41 CET 2016

Using the R Gui a ’new' unsolvable situation has arisen.  I have been using R almost daily since 2002 acording to my records.  This is the first time I have not been able to rectify an R crash.

I am running R version 3.3.2 (2016-10-31) — “Sincere Pumpkin Patch”  on Mac Os Sierra Ver 10.12.1 MacBook Pro early 2013 2.7 GHh Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

With three R-scripts in their editor windows and one R-script actually invoked I needed to force a quit using the Activity Monitor.

Then, when the R Gui was re-invoked all the previous Gui windows opened (as with previous experiences),  but this time R was still in process with activity monitor showing R as non-responsive and rainbow wheel spinning whenever a Gui window is hovered.

'Activity monitor' or ‘Dock' force quit does not resolve the above issue.  Each time R Gui is reinvoked all windows are restored to the R (Non Responding) state.  Activity monitor shows 2/3 of a core CPU devoted to R with ~125 Mb of memory devoted to R.

Previously the R Gui R-script windows could be closed and when R was closed and reopened ‘normal’ R-Gui opening could be invoked.

*** I have deleted R.app from the Applications Folder and reinstalled R version 3.3.2 (2016-10-31) — “Sincere Pumpkin Patch” but seemingly the residual logs extant at the last ‘force quit’ still exist and invoking the R-gui re-establishes the R (Non Responding) state.

Terminal R and RStudio still work but I would rather use the R Gui, which had been working well for me in the latest versions.

Can I identify 'the residual logs’ of the R-gui and erase or reset them to a 'fresh start’ state?

I do not know where to go from this impasse other than using one of my other lower grade computers or wiping my computer and reinstalling the Mac Os.

Is there a link to directions for a more serious cleaning of R files and logs before I reinstall R?  I would guess that the R link in the R.app Contents directory might invoke more deeply embedded R files that need to be scrubbed/reset?

Joe Kunkel

Joseph G. Kunkel, Research Professor
112A Marine Science Center
University of New England