[R-SIG-Mac] R code chunks

Tom Hopper tomhopper at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 17:19:45 CEST 2016

Ivan,

Some of the functionality of R Markdown documents can be found in the R GUI when you work in a script document rather than the console and make use of functions. For instance, the ability to expand or collapse parts of the document (functions can be expanded or collapsed), have code run without output to the console (invisible returns from functions, or assigning function returns to variables).

It doesn’t sound as though this is exactly what you’re looking for—the literate programming concept with rmd documents is very nice—but it might suit your particular needs.

- Tom
> On 201604 12, at 10:18, Ivan Calandra <ivan.calandra at univ-reims.fr> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I thought it would be clear based on the previous emails...
>
> I don't know much yet about chunks and other functionalities of knitr and rmarkdown, so I might be missing some points, but three interesting aspects about chunks that I have already notices is that it is possible to give them names, expand them or reduce them in the script (making the code more readable) and evaluating them but not displaying the results in the html/pdf report. This is possible in RStudio, but it seems that it is not in the R GUI Editor.
>
> Ivan
<snip>