[R-SIG-Mac] Right to left languages support in R on Mac

Nguyen, Duc-Quang (swissinfo) Ducquang.Nguyen at swissinfo.ch
Mon Apr 11 09:47:41 CEST 2016

Hello. I am wondering if there is a way to support right-to-left languages (arabic, hebrew, …) in R on  Mac?

>From my own experience and from this thread on SO (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22423760/right-to-left-languages-support-in-r-using-mac) , there is currently a mac-only bug where right-to-left languages are incorrectly displayed on mac.

For instance, if you run the line under. The xlab text provided will be wrongly displayed in the reverse order (left-to-right). Also the linkage between two consecutive letters (i.e. Ó connected to á would be Óá) is broken.

plot(1:10,1:10,ylab="hello",xlab="ÓáÇã", cex.lab=4)

This bug seems to have been around for a long time (since at least R 2.15.0) and is still present in R 3.2.2