[R-SIG-Mac] Package management in R

Chris Yang bhpchg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 07:38:56 CEST 2015

Hello,

I am new to R and just installed R and RStudio on a Mac.

I have a question about managing packages in R. I wonder if there is
the need and functionality to periodically clean up packages installed
via RStudio, e.g. older versions, files downloaded for installation,
etc. Does the update remove the older version completely before
installing a new one? And what about installation from source?

I ask because Homebrew (a package manager for OS X) keeps older
versions of a package and the files necessary for past installations
upon updates but it offers a command to clean up these stuff too. I
wonder if it is the same for R.

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes,
Chris