[R-SIG-Mac] Setting locale for running R in emacs / ess

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri Oct 23 12:33:00 CEST 2015

Hi

I installed R via homebrew, but it should be the same for the normal R
installation.

When I start R in emacs, I get these unset locale warnings:

,----
| During startup - Warning messages:
| 1: Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
| 2: Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
| 3: Setting LC_TIME failed, using "C"
| 4: Setting LC_MESSAGES failed, using "C"
| 5: Setting LC_MONETARY failed, using "C"
| > > options(STERM='iESS', str.dendrogram.last="'", editor='emacsclient', show.error.locations=TRUE)
| > sessionInfo()
| R version 3.2.2 (2015-08-14)
| Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0 (64-bit)
| Running under: OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
|
| locale:
| [1] C
|
| attached base packages:
| [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
| > version
|                _
| platform       x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0
| arch           x86_64
| os             darwin14.5.0
| system         x86_64, darwin14.5.0
| status
| major          3
| minor          2.2
| year           2015
| month          08
| day            14
| svn rev        69053
| language       R
| version.string R version 3.2.2 (2015-08-14)
| nickname       Fire Safety

`----

But I have the following in my .emacs file which should set the locales
(as far as I know)

,----
| (setq utf-translate-cjk-mode nil) ; disable CJK coding/encoding (Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters)
| (set-language-environment 'utf-8)
| ;; (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8-mac) ; For old Carbon emacs on OS X only
| (setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
| (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)
| (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
| (unless (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
|   (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8))
| (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
`----

which apparently does not work.

Do I have to resort to setting the locales as described at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30264526/why-does-my-ess-r-session-fall-back-to-c-locale

or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Rainer