[R-SIG-Mac] checking for pdflatex

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 16 20:55:43 CET 2015

Note that it not just MacTex which uses /usr/texbin.  /usr/texbin is a
link to /Library/TeX/Distributions/Programs/texbin which is an
/etc/alternatives scheme to manage multiple TeX distributions which used
(prior to Yosemite, at least) to be controlled by a Systems Preferences
widget.  See https://tug.org/mactex/multipletexdistributions.html .

That does not apply to e.g. Fink or MacPorts distributions of TeX, but
people using those are not likely to be using R.app.

/usr/libexec/path_helper is not the whole story either: it reads system
versions of PATH which might not apply to a user's shell: it does not
get my settings completely correct (in particular it has /usr/texbin too
far down the PATH and I had moved it because the system path found the
wrong 'makeindex').