[R-SIG-Mac] checking for pdflatex

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Mar 15 23:21:52 CET 2015

Dear Ian,

Thanks for this. Please see below:

Yes, I understand that, though I don't understand why there's a difference
in the path.

> > Sys.getenv("PATH")
> [1] "/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin"
> > Sys.which("pdflatex")
> pdflatex
>        ""
>
> If I add
>
> Sys.setenv(PATH=paste(Sys.getenv("PATH"),"/opt/local/bin", sep=":"))
>
> to ~/.Rprofile then R.app finds pdflatex (from MacPorts in my case).
>
> > Sys.which("pdflatex")
>                   pdflatex
> "/opt/local/bin/pdflatex"
> > Sys.getenv("PATH")
> [1] "/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/bin"

The problem for me is to determine whether pdflatex is installed *without*
knowing in advance where it's installed. I haven't described the purpose of
this, and, in the interest of brevity, won't for the time-being, but it may
also prove necessary to determine where pdflatex resides.

Best,
 John