[R-SIG-Mac] R on Mac: framework or homebrew?

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Jun 4 20:55:16 CEST 2015

Zhang Xinlian <coral90zhang at gmail.com> writes:

> I used brew install R to install R and I use the most recent version of
> Rstudio. And when I use the "export" in Rstudio, it tells me the following.
> Warning messages:
> 1: In cairo_pdf(file = "/Users/xinlianzhang/Desktop/Rplot.pdf", width =
> 5.22917,  :
>   unable to load shared object
> '/usr/local/Cellar/r/3.2.0_1/R.framework/Resources/library/grDevices/libs//cairo.so':
>
> dlopen(/usr/local/Cellar/r/3.2.0_1/R.framework/Resources/library/grDevices/libs//cairo.so,
> 6): Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.8.dylib
>   Referenced from:
> /usr/local/Cellar/r/3.2.0_1/R.framework/Resources/library/grDevices/libs//cairo.so
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: cairo.so requires version 13.0.0 or
> later, but libjpeg.8.dylib provides version 12.0.0
> 2: In cairo_pdf(file = "/Users/xinlianzhang/Desktop/Rplot.pdf", width =
> 5.22917,  :
>   failed to load cairo DLL

Did you upgrade cpp in homebrew after the installation from R? Errors
like seem to happen when compiler versions / libraries don't match.

If yes, reinstall libjpeg and the cairo programs, and, maybe, even R.

Otherwise I would suggest to try the same in an R session from the
terminal and see if you have the error there - because I don't know how
well RStutio works together with homebrew installed R - doesn't RStudio
come with  it's own R installation?

Cheers,

Rainer

> 在 2013年9月12日星期四 UTC-4上午10:20:07,Rainer M Krug写道:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using R at the moment installed from the official installation as a
>> framework, buit I also installed it from homebrew. As I am not using the
>> Mac GUI (I am using mainly emacs, a little bit RStudio), so from there
>> there was no difference.
>>
>> So which approach has which advantages? I can think of advantages when
>> using homebrew (updates and upgrades of R) and also the framework
>> approach (Ease of maintenance).
>>
>> I personaly lean towards the homebrew installation (linux background),
>> but are there any disadvantages to using the official framework
>> installation?
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rainer