[R-SIG-Mac] Removing (completely) TCl/Tk

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 9 17:40:10 CET 2015

On 09/12/2015 16:12, Federico Calboli wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have TCL/Tk installed from the latest DMG image for R 3.2.2 I will upgrade to R 3.2.3 as soon as the DMG is available).  I’d like to *completely remove* Tcl/Tk as installed by the DMG image.  I can get a list of files from:
>
> pkgutil --files org.r-project.x86_64.tcltk.x11
>
> but the list is long it it looks like it is going to be tedious to remove all the files one by one (I could remove the directories but I could only do that once I am sure nothing else is there from another source).
>
> Is there a smarter way of achieving my goal?

You could edit the list to remove directories such as

usr
usr/local
usr/local/bin
usr/local/include
usr/local/lib
usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
usr/local/man
usr/local/man/man1
usr/local/man/man3
usr/local/share
usr/local/share/man
usr/local/share/man/mann

then use a (shell? R?) script on the list.

Also, the R-devel manual sources contains the commented block:

@c Maybe too dangerous for naive users.
@c The second could be uninstalled by an @R{} script like

@c @example
@c lis <- system2("pkgutil", "--files org.r-project.x86_64.texinfo",
stdout = TRUE)
@c setwd("/")
@c file.remove(rev(lis))
@c @end example

@c @noindent
@c run as the owner of @file{/usr/local}.

where file.remove will remove empty directories (and rev() ensures they
are emptied first).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk