[R-SIG-Mac] Problems to install a package

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 19:30:58 CEST 2015

Some further digging in the MacPorts fora suggests that gmp is the real culprit, but I'm not through digging yet. Compiling gcc 4.8.5 from source using the binaries of gmp-5.1.3 et al. from r.research.att.com dies with a "gfortran not working" message caused by the familiar f951 illegal instruction error. Replacing with 6.0.0 and retrying "make" didn't help nor did using gmp-6.0.0a compiled locally. However, starting all over after "make distclean" actually produced a functioning gfortran with gmp-6.0.0a. (Thus, it is possible that it would have worked with the binary of 6.0.0 too, if I had tried a clean build.)

(Building gcc/gfortran from scratch literally takes hours on the aging iMac, so experimenting is, um, inconvenient... In comparison, building gmp was a piece of cake, so if that suffices, it would be great.)

I'll see if I can dig deeper tomorrow.

-pd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,