[R-SIG-Mac] Problems to install a package

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 3 15:10:00 CEST 2015

> On 03-08-2015, at 13:59, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have now tried doctoring $RHOME/etc/Makeconf to use a MacPorts build of gfortran-4.8 that I had lying around, and lo and behold: It does source installs of nleqslv, geigen, QZ, rms with no trouble at all.

Good to know that.

> So I think the finger is pointing at the binaries on r.research.att.com/libs.

Indeed as was confirmed by Simon last year here https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2014-May/010895.html
I can use the binary of r.research.att.com/libs since I now have a more modern Mac with an i5 cpu.

I did some searching and found the following:

http://coudert.name/software.html

and https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries#MacOS

Might be a good idea to try these versions of gfortran too on a C2D.

Maybe the CRAN R could be built with one of these  gfortran binaries avoiding the need to compile an R provided gfortran and distributed on r.research.att.com/libs.
But that is beyond me and I have no idea about possible issues doing it.

Berend