[R-SIG-Mac] Problems to install a package

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 11:40:54 CEST 2015

> On 01 Aug 2015, at 07:34 , Berend Hasselman <bhh at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>>> If you use gfortran: which version?
>>> If you are not using any floating point then gfortran-4.8 will probably work without problems.
>>> I think.
>>>

>> It's 4.2.1 and 4.2.3, it seems. That's for the local builds; for the CRAN binaries, it seems that I just never tried building a package with Fortran in it. Not sure whether I have used any Fortran binaries (is there an easy way to check whether a package contains Fortran?)
>
> But then you are still using the Snow Leopard binaries for R?
> I don’t know if stuff created with the older gfortran  will run with an R built for mavericks.

Those were for local builds, which I suppose will by definition be Yosemite/Mavericks builds (laptop/desktop respectively). The corresponding C compiler is gcc, alias

$ gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 6.1.0 (clang-602.0.53) (based on LLVM 3.6.0svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin14.4.0
Thread model: posix

> Two of my packages: nleqslv and geigen. They could not compile on my previous C2D computer with gfortran-4.8.
> And another one: QZ.
> And there are some more.
> You would also need the Mavericks binaries of R.

The CRAN binaries of nleqslv seem to install, load, and run OK with the Mavericks CRAN binaries.

Source build of nleqslv builds, loads, runs with a local build on Yosemite.

In both cases, "runs" means that example(nleqslv) and example(testnslv) does something seemingly sensible and do not crash.

(Source build with Mavericks/CRAN would obviously fail due to the absence of gfortran-4.8 and I wouldn't even try mixing the two Fortran versions.)

-pd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501