[R-SIG-Mac] Cannot list Bioconductor packages

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:53:18 CEST 2015

Looks like R.app  forgot to adapt to

> tools:::.BioC_version_associated_with_R_version
function ()
numeric_version(Sys.getenv("R_BIOC_VERSION", "3.1"))
<bytecode: 0x7fd10ac08d50>
<environment: namespace:tools>

I.e. in newer R, you need to use tools:::.BioC_version_associated_with_R_version() to get the version.

You might want to check newer R.app builds off of http://r.research.att.com or wait for Simon to chime in with harder info than what I have.

Or,... You could just edit the offending R file by hand. If neither of us have done anything out of the ordinary, I think you'll find it in /Applications/R.app/Contents/Resources/GUI-tools.R

Or,... Upon actually reading the above code section, I think that a noninvasive procedure is preemptively to use
options("BioC.repos"= z) where z is obtained from, um,

mirror <- getOption("BioC_mirror", "http://www.bioconductor.org")
# ver <- "3.1"
ver <- as.character(tools:::.BioC_version_associated_with_R_version())
z <- paste(mirror, "packages",
            ver, c("bioc", "data/annotation", "data/experiment", "extra"),

-Peter D.