[R-SIG-Mac] Unload CRAN package and locally built package

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 17:27:06 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I have a little mystery here, and ideas would be welcome.

I would like to unload the package igraph. The following works fine
with the package downloaded from CRAN (Snow Leopard package):

install.packages("igraph")
library(igraph)
library(devtools)
unload(inst("igraph"))

However, if I build the package myself on my machine, then it does not
work any more and unloading hangs. I can press CTRL+C to get the R
prompt back, but every command hangs again. This is my machine:

~$ xcodebuild -version
Xcode 5.1.1
Build version 5B1008

~$ Rscript -e 'sessionInfo()'
R version 3.1.1 (2014-07-10)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  base

It also hangs if I call dyn.unload() directly, instead of calling
devtools; if I remove
the igraph.so file from the package, then it works again, so it is
definitely something with the .so file.

I know this is not much work with, but if you have any guesses, please
let me know. Thanks,
Gabor