[R-SIG-Mac] Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libquadmath.0.dylib

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Sep 3 16:20:52 CEST 2014

On Sep 3, 2014, at 4:18 AM, Xiao He <praguewatermelon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried to load a package which includes a shared object on one of my Macs,
> and I got an error message below, which suggests that the file "
> libquadmath.0.dylib" is missing in the /usr/local/lib folder. On my other
> Mac however, I have no problem loading the package, and the file "
> libquadmath.0.dylib" is in the /usr/local/lib folder. I wonder where this
> libquadmath.0.dylib file is from, and how I can install it on the computer
> where it is missing. Thanks!

libquadmath is part of the Fortran compiler, it is not a standard library, so it will be only present if you install the compiler.

Note that the Mavericks build of R on CRAN also ships with the quadmath library and Mavericks CRAN package binaries use it from there. If you compile a package yourself and want others to be able to use it, you may want to change the path from /usr/local/lib/libquadmath.0.dylib to /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/lib/libquadmath.0.dylib via install_name_tool --- the same goes for libgfortran.3.dylib.