[R-SIG-Mac] R Mac Error on edit() Window Close

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Nov 14 15:32:44 CET 2014

Tim,

On Nov 14, 2014, at 7:41 AM, Tim Bates <timothy.c.bates at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> (b) Are you seeing this both with Snow Leopard and Mavericks builds?
>> [Just] on 10.10 with 3.1.2-mavericks.pkg R.app GUI 1.65 (6833) x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0
>> Looks like it’s something with the Mavericks build. I’ll stick with 3.1.2-snowleapard.pkg for now.
>
> Does anyone see a benefit (speed up) running the Mavericks build? I get the idea of moving to new APIs,
> but not seeing a speed or functionality improvement. A the same time, some packages (ones that need compiling) lag a bit for
> releasing Mavericks versions?
>
> Just curious for an insight into why Mavericks will be better in the long term: Compatibility with deprecated OSX function calls, or a faster run time ?

Mostly C++11 support.

The main reason is that Apple has removed all gcc tools from recent Xcode, so although the SL build itself is fine and stable, you can't easily build new packages from sources on Mavericks+ using the SL build. There are also a few work-arounds for issues with Mavericks+ (AppNap, ...) that cannot be used in the SL build since the API didn't exist there.