[R-SIG-Mac] R Mac Error on edit() Window Close

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 14 15:31:54 CET 2014

On 14/11/2014 12:41, Tim Bates wrote:
>>> (b) Are you seeing this both with Snow Leopard and Mavericks builds?
>> [Just] on 10.10 with 3.1.2-mavericks.pkg R.app GUI 1.65 (6833) x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0
>> Looks like it’s something with the Mavericks build. I’ll stick with 3.1.2-snowleapard.pkg for now.
>
> Does anyone see a benefit (speed up) running the Mavericks build? I get the idea of moving to new APIs,
> but not seeing a speed or functionality improvement. A the same time, some packages (ones that need compiling) lag a bit for
> releasing Mavericks versions?
>
> Just curious for an insight into why Mavericks will be better in the long term: Compatibility with deprecated OSX function calls, or a faster run time ?

See the R manuals: these have ever since R 3.1.0 explained this.
Currently at
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Installing-R-under-OS-X
: the main advantage is more modern compilers (those used for Snow
Leopard date from 2007) with support for current language standards
needed by some packages.  (R itself uses very little of the OS X APIs:
R.app uses more but the same code is used for both builds.)

'In the long term' none of these versions of OS X will be supported (by
Apple or R): expect binary package support only for >= Mavericks in R
3.2.0 next Spring.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK