[R-SIG-Mac] Best installation approach of R on Mavericks for Emacs/Homebrew users?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu May 22 11:30:28 CEST 2014

On 22 May 2014, at 10:53 , Rainer M Krug <Rainer at krugs.de> wrote:

> peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 22 May 2014, at 00:32 , Vincent Goulet <vincent.goulet at me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I'm biased here, but for me (and my students!) the simple procedure is:
>>>
>>> 1. Install the R binary from CRAN;
>>>
>>> 2. Install my Emacs distribution for OS X that comes bundled with ESS: http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/mac
>>
>> 2a. (variant) Install Aquamacs, which also comes with ESS and AUCTeX.
>
> There are differning opinions about Aquamacs (Macified version of emacs
> and bundled with some packages) or emacs - I decided (after using Linux
> for several years) to use emacs, due to
>
> 1) compatibility with other OS (different config files for emacs and
> Aquamacs)

Hmm, maybe. I try not to go beyond the things that are settable via Customize, and that seems to be pretty much the same as in plain Emacs (and Emacs itself has changed things between versions too.) Except for a few TeX convenience settings (electric braces, math mode on by default) what I change is mostly machine-specific anyway (fonts, modifier keys).

> 2) Same keyboard shortcuts between OS

For the common things, you actually have both the Mac and the Emacs Shortcuts available. I.e., you can either mark out a region and do c-w / c-y or cmd-x / cmd-v to cut and paste. It is mostly a matter of self discipline to avoid the standard commands.

> 3) newer versions of emacs then used in Aquamacs

Currently, both are at 24.3. The emacs that ships with Mavericks is at 22.1, though.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com