[R-SIG-Mac] Best installation approach of R on Mavericks for Emacs/Homebrew users?

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu May 22 10:53:03 CEST 2014

peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> writes:

> On 22 May 2014, at 00:32 , Vincent Goulet <vincent.goulet at me.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I'm biased here, but for me (and my students!) the simple procedure is:
>>
>> 1. Install the R binary from CRAN;
>>
>> 2. Install my Emacs distribution for OS X that comes bundled with ESS: http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/mac
>
> 2a. (variant) Install Aquamacs, which also comes with ESS and AUCTeX.

There are differning opinions about Aquamacs (Macified version of emacs
and bundled with some packages) or emacs - I decided (after using Linux
for several years) to use emacs, due to

1) compatibility with other OS (different config files for emacs and
Aquamacs)
2) Same keyboard shortcuts between OS
3) newer versions of emacs then used in Aquamacs

But I am sure Aquamacs makes some things easier then using emacs, but I
think emacs fits better tigether with the idea of using homebrew, while
Aquamacs fits better to the approach of using native Mac installers.

Cheers,

Rainer

>> 3. Enjoy.
>>
>> Envoyé de mon iPad
>>
>>> Le 2014-05-21 à 15:37, Grant Rettke <gcr at wisdomandwonder.com> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm working on setting up a new to me OSX machine with R. My preference is
>>> via Homebrew, with which I'll
>>> be using Emacs and ESS. Looking out for trouble, I tried to do a little
>>> legwork first of all to see what is the status quo for installing R on
>>> Mavericks. There are more than a few options and I am wanting to get your
>>> feedback on what worked for you, and if you happened to follow any of these
>>> directions. Here is what I found:
>>>
>>> https://onote2.github.io/2013/12/04/install-r-on-mac-os-x-109-mavericks/
>>>
>>> The simplest. Looks great.
>>>
>>> http://davidsimpson.me/2013/02/26/installing-r-on-os-x/
>>>
>>> Also simple.
>>>
>>> http://zmjones.com/mac-setup/#R
>>>
>>> Also quite simple.
>>>
>>> http://www.moncefbelyamani.com/how-to-install-xcode-homebrew-git-rvm-ruby-on-mac/#step-1
>>> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/issues/427
>>>
>>> Sometimes things go wrong?
>>>
>>> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/
>>>
>>> If all else fails, or perhaps are any of you Emacs users using this instead
>>> of Homebrew?
>>>
>>> It looks pretty straightforward at this point; just wanted to talk to some
>>> other folks and see what worked for them.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
>>> gcr at wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
>>> “Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
>>> ((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
>>> “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
>>> taking it seriously.” --Thompson
>>>
>>>   [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Stellenbosch University
South Africa