[R-SIG-Mac] Report of failure with installation of MonetDB.R

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed May 7 04:53:07 CEST 2014

Dear Hannes or anybody;

I did not find any pages (despite searching) for the installation process of MonetDB on a Mac. I'm currently running MacOS 10.7.5 and R 3.1.0 Patched (2014-04-21 r65431) -- "Spring Dance". There is a source package for MonetDB at:

https://www.monetdb.org/downloads/MacOSX/Jan2014-SP1/MonetDB-11.17.13-x86_64-Darwin-9-bin.tar.bz2

It's home page has direction for installation on Linux and PC but makes no mention of Macs. Downloading that file resulted in a couple of automatic steps and the creation in my ~/Download/ directory of a hierarchy of usr2/local/monetdb

Reading the MacOS R-FAQ in "For R.app you may need to add e.g. /usr/local/bin and it is usually most convenient to use command-line R." Reasoning that the files in monetdb should actually go into usr/local/ I dragged them to that location with Finder.app, and authenticated when requested.

(This process failed and I am now looking for instruction on properly installing on a Mac. Is this page going to lead me on the path of righteousness?

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/porting/conceptual/portingunix/compiling/compiling.html

My reading of Mac-SIG leads me to believe that using MacPorts will not be a stable strategy for interaction with R.

--
David.

========= failed efforts recorded below ==================

I installed MonetDB.R from R.app using the Package installation dialog with "install dependencies" checked.

library(MonetDB.R) # succeeded without complaint and reported:

help(package="MonetDB.r")  # Trying the Example code in monetdb.server.setup

> startscript <- monetdb.server.setup("/tmp/database","/usr/local/monetdb/", "db1", 50001)
> pid <- monetdb.server.start(startscript)
/private/tmp/database/db1.sh: line 2: /usr/local/monetdb/mserver5: No such file or directory
Read 1 item
> monetdb.server.stop(pid)
/bin/sh: line 0: kill: (22661) - No such process
> conn <- dbConnect(MonetDB.R(), "monetdb://localhost:50001/db1")
Error in .local(drv, ...) : Could not connect to localhost:50001

Then tried the code on the help page for 'MonetDB.R-package'

> conn <- dbConnect(MonetDB.R(), "monetdb://localhost/demo")
Error in .local(drv, ...) : Could not connect to localhost:50000
> dbListTables(conn)
Error in is(object, Cl) :
  error in evaluating the argument 'conn' in selecting a method for function 'dbListTables': Error: object 'conn' not found
> data(iris)
> dbWriteTable(conn, "iris", iris)
Error in is(object, Cl) :
  error in evaluating the argument 'conn' in selecting a method for function 'dbWriteTable': Error: object 'conn' not found
> dbGetQuery(conn, "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM iris;")
Error in dbGetQuery(conn, "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM iris;") :
  error in evaluating the argument 'conn' in selecting a method for function 'dbGetQuery': Error: object 'conn' not found
> d <- dbReadTable(conn, "iris")
Error in is(object, Cl) :
  error in evaluating the argument 'conn' in selecting a method for function 'dbReadTable': Error: object 'conn' not found

So obviously there is something about this client server setup that I have not done properly or understood how to access. I've been through the R-FAQ many times and still do not understand the issues surrounding the use of homebrew and MacPorts. It's something to do with binary files in the right places and I fear this is another instance of such failure.

(I'm also unable to scroll the Mac-FAQ to see the end of the file when the window is wider than about 60 characters.)
--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA