[R-SIG-Mac] Trouble compiling packages under Mavericks

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Mar 6 22:13:28 CET 2014

On Mar 6, 2014, at 1:21 PM, Andy Jacobson <Andy.Jacobson at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Simon,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I think this ought to be elevated to a FAQ, or mentioned in the R-admin Mavericks section, because I *still* can't find it in the R-Sig-Mac archives, even after you told me the information is there.

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2014-January/010607.html

Admittedly a lot of the various posts on SIG-Mac have different keywords, because this is not  Maverick issue but rather Xcode 5 issue.

>  As far as updating R, I have the latest CRAN version...are you suggesting to go with a more recent build?

Yes, either use the nightly build or R-3.0.3 binary (incidentally released today).

> Thanks,
>
> Andy
>
> On Thu 06 Mar 2014, at 11:11 , Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 6, 2014, at 1:03 PM, Andy Jacobson <andy.jacobson at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I experienced some hiccups trying to use R CMD INSTALL to compile/install packages, on Mavericks (OS X 10.9.2) with R-3.0.2 from CRAN.  I think I resolved them using a ~/.R/Makevars fix and I thought I'd report on that.
>>>

>> Please consider reading the archives before posting - this has been discussed do often that it should be almost a FAQ.
>> This has been already addressed in recent R builds. The best advice is to update your R.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>>

>>> The symptom I would get is complaints about "cc1" not understanding the "-arch" argument, as in:

>>> llvm-gcc-4.2 is not the up-to-date XCode compiler.  That rather is "Apple LLVM version 5.0 (clang-500.2.79) (based on LLVM 3.3svn)".
>>>
>>> Section C.3.4 ("Mavericks") of the R-admin guide suggests a "config.site" file with the following:
>>>
>>> CC=clang
>>> CXX=clang++
>>> F77="gfortran-4.2 -arch x86_64"
>>> FC=$F77