[R-SIG-Mac] Unable to install packages

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 04:05:50 CEST 2014

On Jun 11, 2014, at 4:02 AM, Jody Aberdein wrote:

> Dear r-sig-mac,
>
> Perhaps somebody can help?
>
> I have been using R as a student for a number of years on OSX 10.8.5, and have recently installed R 3.1.0 Snow Leopard Build.

How did you do that?

> Whereas previously I could install packages as I required, recently whenever I try

...."I  try"? How are you trying?

> to I am met with an error message:
>
> Error: file ‘/var/folders/f1/20lrk8gn2j92wc4k002v1jrh0000gn/T//RtmppF3r3c/downloaded_packages/mvtnorm_0.9-99992.tgz’ is not an OS X binary package
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: In install.packages(c("gconcord"), lib = "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/",  :
>  installation of package ‘gconcord’ had non-zero exit status
> 2: In install.packages(c("gconcord"), lib = "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/",  :
>  installation of package ‘gconcord’ had non-zero exit status
> 3: 'tar' returned non-zero exit code 1
> tar: Unrecognized archive format
> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
>
> For binaries.

You could conceivably have downloaded the wrong mvtnorm package. They all seem to have the same file names. See:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/mvtnorm/index.html

For installation of the SL binary mated to 3.1.0 you want:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/contrib/3.1/mvtnorm_0.9-99992.tgz

> Source will not install either,

 How did you attempt that? And what error message were offered?

 What versions? Do you have the development packages from Apple installed? Seems like you might if you are familiar with installing from source, but you haven't mentioned any specifics that imply that you are aware of this need.

And did you load/activate the Command Line Tools?

> and using the R interface rather than GUI is no better. I have re-downloaded and installed R to no avail.

What will "avail" you will be more complete details.