[R-SIG-Mac] Unable to install packages

Jody Aberdein jodyaberdein at doctors.org.uk
Wed Jun 11 13:02:25 CEST 2014

Dear r-sig-mac,

Perhaps somebody can help?

I have been using R as a student for a number of years on OSX 10.8.5, and have recently installed R 3.1.0 Snow Leopard Build.

Whereas previously I could install packages as I required, recently whenever I try to I am met with an error message:

Error: file ‘/var/folders/f1/20lrk8gn2j92wc4k002v1jrh0000gn/T//RtmppF3r3c/downloaded_packages/mvtnorm_0.9-99992.tgz’ is not an OS X binary package
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In install.packages(c("gconcord"), lib = "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/",  :
  installation of package ‘gconcord’ had non-zero exit status
2: In install.packages(c("gconcord"), lib = "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/",  :
  installation of package ‘gconcord’ had non-zero exit status
3: 'tar' returned non-zero exit code 1
tar: Unrecognized archive format
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

For binaries. Source will not install either, and using the R interface rather than GUI is no better. I have re-downloaded and installed R to no avail.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jody