[R-SIG-Mac] Segfault Error in GUI version of R

Amanda Charbonneau charbo24 at msu.edu
Sun Jan 12 02:16:58 CET 2014

Hi,

I have been experiencing a GUI bug for the last several weeks that I have just been able to identify as a reproducible error: Spelling and syntax mistakes that would normally result in an “object foobar not found” or “unexpected foo in bar” error message now result in an unrecoverable “caught segfault” error. The segfault can be triggered regardless of dataset size, packages, and runtime. All segfaults seem to report the same memory address. However, no other programs are reporting memory errors, and I can make a dataset of arbitrary size and perform an infinite number of typo-free calculations on it without encountering an error. I also cannot reproduce the errors in the terminal using the same R installation with the same typo-commands.

Example:
> > taco <- c(1,2)
> > mean(taco)
> [1] 1.5
> > mean(tac)
> Error in mean(tac) : object 'tac' not found
>
>  *** caught segfault ***
> address 0x7c0, cause 'memory not mapped'
>
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace
> Selection:

I’m running:
R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16) -- "Good Sport"
Copyright (C) 2013 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0 (64-bit)
[R.app GUI 1.61 (6492) x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0]

Crash report and Sessioninfo are attached. Any help/suggestions are appreciated. I don’t type accurately enough to run R without occasional typos, and it’s really making it difficult to work.

Amanda

Amanda Charbonneau
Graduate Student
Michigan State University