[R-SIG-Mac] trouble running invoking R from the terminal in a new install

Catherine A. Lozupone Catherine.Lozupone at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 12 13:39:50 CET 2014

Hello,

I am on Mac OS X Version 10.8.5. I recently installed R-3.0.2.pkg on my machine which by default put the R application in my /Applications folder. When I envoke R by double clicking on the R application file in my Applications folder it opens up a GUI just fine. However, when I try to invoke R from a terminal window I get the error "-bash: R64: command not found." This appears to be unrelated to R not being in my path. /Applications is in my path and when I cd to the /Applications folder and try and invoke R by typing "R" or "R --help" I get the same "command not found" error. I read in the R installation and Administration manual that "A version of R can be run directly from the command-line as e.g. /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/bin/R). However when I cd to this directory and type "R" I get the same "command not found" error again. It also does not appear related to R not being executable. The R installation in my /Applications folder looks like this with ls -l:

drwxrwxr-x    3 root      admin            102 Feb 12 05:20 R.app

Any advice?

Thanks,
Cathy