[R-SIG-Mac] feature request: editor match brackets

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Tue Feb 11 23:15:15 CET 2014

On 2/11/14 8:59 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2014, at 5:40 PM, Carl Witthoft <carl at witthoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I know about <SHIFT>-<CTRL>-B but that's ugly-ish.
>>
>> What I'd like to request is a automatic paired-bracket color
>> highlighting in a manner similar to what Notepad++ does (which, if
>> you haven't used it, colors a bracket next to the cursor and its
>> matching pair).  While it's nice to get that quickie highlighting
>> while typing a line of code, in general it's a lot more useful to
>> get a highlighting while eding code blocks.
>>

> Just to understand - we do already highlight the matching bracket
> when you move the cursor over/next to a bracket/paren. So is your
> suggestion to make that highlighting longer/permanent as opposed to
> flashing?
>
> Thanks, Simon

Well, actually,   on R 3.0.2 GUI 1.62 Snow Leopard build (6558) I don't
get any response to a hovering pointer!  I get a very brief highlight if
I pass the cursor "across" a bracket using the arrow keys.  If I move
the mouse pointer and click at a location to place the cursor there, no
highlighting.

But, yes,  what I'm requesting is for the bracket pair to stay
highlighted as long as the cursor (not the mouse pointer) is situated
next to a bracket.

ciao,
Carl

--

Sent from a parallel universe almost, but not entirely,
nothing at all like this one.