[R-SIG-Mac] kernel_task uses all memory with foreach()

Thomas Tse, CFA FRM thomas.tse at standardperpetual.com
Mon Aug 25 09:27:17 CEST 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to use foreach() in my iMac (identifier iMac14,3) but it comes out a "your system has run out of application memory" issue.

After taking a look into Activity Monitor, I see that "kernel_task" keeps consuming memory until it uses all RAM. I use a lot of gc() within foreach() so that each R session is not taking a lot of memories ... the problem seems to be with kernel_task, which does not release RAM.

Anyone could suggest a solution?

Many thanks,
Tom