[R-SIG-Mac] bypassing the R.app help browser?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Aug 12 21:33:04 CEST 2014

Dear list members,

Is there a way to bypass the R.app help browser, and to use instead an alternative browser, such as the one pointed to by getOption("browser")?

I've tried a number of strategies, including setting .Platform$GUI <- "unknown". The only approach I tried that works is to mask the help() function with a modified version, but this produces other problems, such as referencing unexported objects from utils and tools.

It would be nice if the help() function had a browser argument, similar to that in browseURL(), and defaulting to the current behaviour.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John