[R-SIG-Mac] The quartzFonts() vs "default system font"

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Aug 9 18:16:45 CEST 2014

When I offered (on R-help) the output of quartzFonts() as a potential way to identify problem font names for the issue mentioned in the last entry in the R-Mac-FAQ <http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#I-see-no-text-in-a-Quartz-plot_0021> it was pointed out that the FAQ says Arial is the "default font". Yet Arial is not listed as a quartzFont on my machine:

> names(quartzFonts())
[1] "serif" "sans"  "mono"
> quartzFonts()[ names(quartzFonts() ) ]
$serif
[1] "Times-Roman"      "Times-Bold"       "Times-Italic"     "Times-BoldItalic"

$sans
[1] "Helvetica"             "Helvetica-Bold"        "Helvetica-Oblique"
[4] "Helvetica-BoldOblique"

$mono
[1] "Courier"             "Courier-Bold"        "Courier-Oblique"     "Courier-BoldOblique"

Is there a difference between the "system font" and the quartzFonts?

And I would suggest that the current (dead) link in the FAQ to the Apple information on key bindings:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/EventOverview/TextDefaultsBindings/chapter_9_section_2.html

.... could be replaced with this update:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/recipes/xcode_help-keybindings_preferences/_index.html

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA