[R-SIG-Mac] Problems loading Rcmdr on a Mac 10.7.2 and a Mac 10.6.8

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 19 17:36:39 CEST 2013

Dear Simon,

OK -- thanks for the further clarification.

If you can bear with me a bit longer, I've drafted an update to the Rcmdr
installation notes, the relevant part of which now reads as follows --
[link] represents a hyperlink:

-------------- snip ---------------

. . .

These instructions are for R version 3.0.0 or later; if you're using an
earlier version of R, I suggest that you upgrade, or, failing that, consult
the special Mac OS X installation notes [link] for the R Commander under
older versions of R.

Before installing R or the R Commander, make sure that your Mac OS X system
is up-to-date by running Software Update from the "apple" menu at the
top-left of the screen. This is important, because R assumes that the system
is up-to-date and may not function properly if it is not.

The procedure for installing the R Commander under Mac OS X is a bit
complicated, so please read and follow these instructions carefully. These
instructions and the associated files are intended for 10.6 (Snow Leopard),
10.7 (Lion), and 10.8 (Mountain Lion) systems. I assume that you've already
installed R, version 3.0.0 or later.

O Check to see if the X11 windowing system (X Windows) has already been
installed on your computer. For OS X 10.6 and 10.7, the file X11.app should
appear in the Utilities folder under Applications in the finder. This
application should always be installed under OS X 10.7. For OS X 10.8, the
file is named XQuartz.app and is no longer included with the operating
system.

O If X11.app is missing under OS X 10.6 or 10.7, you can (preferably)
download and install XQuartz from http://xquartz.macosforge.org [link],
following the directions for OS X 10.8 below, or you can install X11.app
from your Mac OS X installation disc as follows:

	- Insert your Mac OS X install disc. (If you have two discs it will
be on the"Install Disc 1").

	- Double click on Optional Installs.

	- Double click on Optional Installs.mpkg, then click Continue and
accept the license agreement.

	- Click the triangle next to Applications in order to expand the
list of applications.

	- Check "X11", and then click Continue and Install. Click Close when
the installation finishes.

	- If you install X11 from your Mac OS X discs rather than XQuartz,
then run Software Update afterwards to make sure that your X11 system is
up-to-date.

Under OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), when you first try to use X11 -- for
example, by installing and then loading the Rcmdr package in R (see the
bullets below) -- OS X will offer to help you install X11, with a message
like "To open 'R,' you need to install X11. Would you like to install X11
now?"

O Click the continue button, which will take you to the Apple support
website, and thence to http://xquartz.macosforge.org [link], where you can
download the disk image (dmg) file for XQuartz.

O When you open this file by double-clicking on it, you'll find XQuartz.pkg;
double-click on it to run the installer, clicking through all the defaults.

O After the installer runs, you'll have to log out and back on to your Mac
OS X account.

. . .

Does that seem to cover the bases? Remember that many of the people using
these instructions will be even more ignorant than I am about Mac OS X.

Thanks for your help,
 John