[R-SIG-Mac] R 3.0.1 build from sources: Wrong library paths

Simon Zehnder szehnder at uni-bonn.de
Thu Sep 12 10:49:53 CEST 2013

I did some progress on my problem:

Using LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS on the shell instead of in the config.site file changes the directories and make can find all the libraries.

The next thing that came up, was the Mac-specific Cocoa issue. When I compile R sources with OBJC="gcc -arch x86_64" I get the following outputs:

config.log: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6534550

make.log: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6534560

with errors starting in line 883 of the make.log. So it seems the gcc cannot handle the .m files properly.

Then I used OBJC="clang" and I get the following output:

config.log: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6534614

make.log: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6534606

Here I get (see line 879 in the make.log) some weird warning. I know these are only warnings, they do not influence the way R works later on, but I am interested why gcc cannot handle the Cocoa files at all and clang has these warnings.

Best

Simon