[R-SIG-Mac] R 3.0.1 build from sources: Wrong library paths

Simon Zehnder szehnder at uni-bonn.de
Wed Sep 11 23:08:01 CEST 2013

Dear R-Users and R-Devels,

I made a brand new install of Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4 on a new hard drive and want to build R from sources. As I use OpenMP 3.1 in my C++ extensions I used MacPorts to get the gcc48 compiler collection. Installation run without a hassle and I set the mp-gcc48 active.

I downloaded the R-3.0.1 tar.gz and extracted it. Then I changed the config.site to the following:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6529767

Furthermore I had to change my PATH variable in the .profile as it included /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin and I have not such a folder in my /usr.

Now when I run configure I get the following config.log

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6529743

with the warning:  "ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/usr/local/lib' "on line 217. This warning becomes an error if running the make command. I still see the C linker using -L/usr/local/lib which does not exist. I changed the LDFLAGS in the config.site to -L/opt/local/lib but Rs configure script seems to be very resistant to my new proposal.

I need some help. How should I proceed? Which FLAGS can change the directory the make script searches for libraries? What configure options should be used with R-3.0.1 on OS X 10.8.4 using gcc-4.8.1?

Best