[R-SIG-Mac] Compiling against the Accelerate framework on OS X 10.9

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 11:27:32 CET 2013

On Oct 27, 2013, at 22:33 , Simon Zehnder wrote:

> P.S.: I would consider the gcc4.8.2 binary from http://hpc.sourceforge.net for Mavericks and ML; I worked before with the macports alternative and found it easier to use these binaries. They are always up to date…

--- except that MacPorts had R unbuildable for weeks with an internal compiler error in Fortran. This sort of instability is what happens when a distribution treats the build tools as just another set of applications.

But, yes, it is currently a bit of a conundrum whether to head towards doing things the Open Source Way or the Apple Way.

(And there isn't really an "Open Source Way". There are eminent examples of well-managed Open Source distributions in the Linux world, both on a professional and on a volunteer basis. However, whenever people try retrofitting the idea of maintained distributions onto commercial platforms, it seems that amateurism kicks in.)

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com