[R-SIG-Mac] can't install R on a G5...

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jan 24 02:26:15 CET 2013

On Jan 23, 2013, at 4:13 PM, Stefano Doglio wrote:

> hi to everybody :-)
>
> I'm trying to install R on my PowerMac G5 (MacOS 10.5.8) but so far no success :-(
> From the CRAN I've downloaded version 2.15.0 (what looks me the last Universal version ready to install). Opened and installed (and deleted the 64 bit Intel only version) but R crashes as soon as it opens, with this error message:
>
> Dyld Error Message:
>  Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
>  Referenced from: /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R
>  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
> 	/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/lib/libR.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
>
> I did install also gfortran-4.2.3 and tcltk-8.5.5-x11 but it didn't change anything.
> I tried to install also gfortran-42-5577 but the installer stopped with this error message (partially translated by me from Italian, as only the 2nd half of the message was in English...):
>
> "you can't install GNU Fortran 4.2.4 for XCode 3.1.4 (build 5577) on this volume. This package requires XCode 3.1.4 with gcc-4.2 (build 5577)"

You don't need that at all - in fact you don't need any of the gfortran above to run R - it's only needed if you want to install packages from sources that contain Fortran code and then gfortran 4.2.3 is enough.  If you just want to run R then the R*.pkg is all you need.

> I checked and there's a folder in the Applications with this XCode 3.1.4 but again this application too crashes if I try running it... maybe there's something missing? I've got this G5 2nd hand back in 2011, and unfortunately the Leopard dvd I've got can only install a previous (3.1.0 ... I guess, but I should check) version, and from the Apple website linked at r-project.org there's apparently no way to download older versions of XCode...
>
> Any idea to get out?

Unfortunately we don't have working G5 box anymore (the last one died which we had to pul the plug), so I can't check. But it seems as if you may have more recent non-ppc version installed as well so it prevents the older ppc-verison to install. Please run

file /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/lib/libR.dylib

You should see something like
$ file /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/lib/libR.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/lib/libR.dylib (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/lib/libR.dylib (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/lib/libR.dylib (for architecture i386):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

If not, try
rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/R.framework
and re-installing R.

If all fails, run something like
curl http://r.research.att.com/R-2.15.0-leopard-universal.tar.gz | tar fvxz - -C /

which will simply put the framework in place.