[R-SIG-Mac] can't install R on a G5...

Stefano Doglio finrod_s at libero.it
Wed Jan 23 22:13:20 CET 2013

hi to everybody :-)

I'm trying to install R on my PowerMac G5 (MacOS 10.5.8) but so far no
success :-(
 From the CRAN I've downloaded version 2.15.0 (what looks me the last
Universal version ready to install). Opened and installed (and deleted
the 64 bit Intel only version) but R crashes as soon as it opens, with
this error message:

Dyld Error Message:
   Library not loaded:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
   Referenced from: /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R
   Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/lib/libR.dylib:
no matching architecture in universal wrapper

I did install also gfortran-4.2.3 and tcltk-8.5.5-x11 but it didn't
change anything.
I tried to install also gfortran-42-5577 but the installer stopped with
this error message (partially translated by me from Italian, as only the
2nd half of the message was in English...):

"you can't install GNU Fortran 4.2.4 for XCode 3.1.4 (build 5577) on
this volume. This package requires XCode 3.1.4 with gcc-4.2 (build 5577)"

I checked and there's a folder in the Applications with this XCode 3.1.4
but again this application too crashes if I try running it... maybe
there's something missing? I've got this G5 2nd hand back in 2011, and
unfortunately the Leopard dvd I've got can only install a previous
(3.1.0 ... I guess, but I should check) version, and from the Apple
website linked at r-project.org there's apparently no way to download
older versions of XCode...

Any idea to get out? I must say I've also quite effortlessly installed R
on my Linux netbook but I'd really like to have it on my PowerMac (and
the bigger screen...).
Sorry for the length of this mail :-)

thanks
best wishes