[R-SIG-Mac] Can only install packages in my (user) library, even as administrator

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Sun Dec 8 06:47:00 CET 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Denis Chabot <chabot.denis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made 3 changes within a few days of each other and I don’t know which one caused this. I always installed new pacages (and updated existing packages) in the main library on my Mac, not in the library folder of my own account.
>
> But after putting a new hard drive in my Mac, updating R to 3.0.2 (from 3.0.1), updating my OS to Mavericks, I can no longer do so, I receive error messages telling me I’d have to use the command line if I insisted in doing it now.

(1) Could you please copy/paste the exact error messages you are
getting? Paraphrasing it isn't very helpful.

(2)  Can you copy paste the output of the following command from the terminal:

$ ls -ld /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library

Mine looks like:

drwxrwxr-x  56 root  admin  1904 Nov 27 11:40
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library

(The leading `$` above is just a delimiter to suggest I am typing at
the terminal/bash prompt -- you don't type in `$`)

(3) Please copy/paste the output of the following command from the terminal:

$ groups YOUR_ACCOUNT

Where YOUR_ACCOUNT is whatever your user account is (ie. the name of
your home directory)

For instance, my user account is `lianogls` (my home directory is
/Users/lianogls), so I'd do:

$ groups lianogls

and the output is:

lianogls domainus com.apple.access_screensharing everyone _appstore
netaccounts _appserverusr admin _appserveradm _lpadmin _lpoperator
_developer

Thanks,
-steve

--