[R-SIG-Mac] Which command line tools for XCode 4.2.1

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Thu Apr 18 19:48:30 CEST 2013

Dear Prof. Ripley,

Thank you for this extensive information.

You mention that you have been working hard on making R and CRAN
packages installable using clang, which is quite an effort.

Currently, the Bioconductor maintainers are doing the same, i.e.
checking which BioC packages are installable using clang, and I was
informed that my package 'xps' cannot be installed using clang.

In my case the main problem seems to be that the version of clang used
has a bug which prevents compilation of xps (and the necessary ROOT C++
framework).

Concretely, both the Bioconductor server running Snow Leopard and my
Snow Leopard Mac have versions of Xcode, which include clang Version
3.0. In order to compile ROOT successfully, at least clang Version 3.1
is necessary, see:
http://root.cern.ch/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14614#p62969

On my Mac running Lion (10.7.5) I have currently also installed Xcode
4.2.1 which contains clang Version 3.0, so I could reproduce this error
also on Lion. After downloading the the 'Command Line Tools (OS X Lion)
for Xcode - March 2013' from the Apple developer site the version of
clang is now:
$ clang -v
Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.27) (based on LLVM 3.2svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2

Using this version I could successfully compile both ROOT and xps. The
problem is that I do not know how to obtain a more recent version of
clang for Snow Leopard, the system currently running on the BioC server.

I would very much appreciate if you could propose a solution for this
problem.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Christian