[R-SIG-Mac] Which command line tools for XCode 4.2.1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 11:03:14 CEST 2013

 > Since I have heard that R and Bioconductor packages should in the future
 > be built with clang since Apple will be discontinuing support of gcc, my
 > question is:

I've not heard that, and you give no reference.  It's a pretty safe
prediction except for timing: it could be a year away.  So your
questions are not relevant until it is announced.  The documentation in
the current R manuals is currently the correct advice.

Apple have announced the imminent discontinuation of llvm-gcc, and we
take that to mean it will not be in Xcode 4.7 (or 5.0 if that is
released first).  That would mean that once that is released, for most
users of Lion and later llvm-gcc will disappear (as most users will get
an automatic upgrade from the AppStore, or as in my case, the sysadmins
will push out an update).

So we have been working hard on making R and CRAN packages installable
using clang (there were too many problems at decision time for 3.0.0).
How to switch a CRAN binary installation to use clang[++] is in the R >=
3.0.0 manuals.  That may not work for packages with configure scripts:
for that you may need R-patched.

There are now only seven CRAN packages which have bugs which stop
installation under clang, and all the maintainers have been sent
patches.  (Two of those do not install under gcc 4.8.0 either.)

Very likely at some point Simon will switch the CRAN binary distribution
to use clang, but the real point is that many end-users will need to do
so soon.

Given that R 3.0.0 supports OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard), it is likely that we
will do so for all of the 3.0.x series, even though 10.6 will almost
certainly reach end-of-life well before 3.1.0 is due.  In that case the
CRAN builder could stick with llvm-gcc for that series, but it may prove
more convenient for end-users to switch to the distribution to clang
before then.  Only time will tell.