[R-SIG-Mac] single-threaded R, 100% CPU with BLAS, vecLib and ATLAS

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Oct 26 03:20:52 CEST 2012

Melanie,

On Oct 25, 2012, at 7:16 PM, Melanie Courtot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run R on my MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel core i5. I am trying to read a csv file, which works fine on my work colleague's machine (under linux) but causes my CPU to go up to 100% and makes the GUI unresponsive and hangs on the command line. Activity monitor indicates there is only one R thread running.
>
> I did see that by default R was using the BLAS library, which is single-threaded,

BLAS will have absolutely no effect on read.table() - it will always be single-threaded and it does not use BLAS. The difference between the two machines may be memory - read.table() is not the most efficient way to load a data set and maybe you're running out of memory (but you didn't tell us how you are loading it, really).