[R-SIG-Mac] Ugly default Tk font on Mac OS

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Oct 8 21:43:34 CEST 2012

On Oct 8, 2012, at 12:36 PM, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:

> Le lundi 08 octobre 2012 à 12:15 -0700, David Winsemius a écrit :
>> <Tcl> test
>>> tkfont.actual("test") # Wrong
>> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
>>> tkfont.actual("TkDefaultFont") # OK
>> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size -12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
>>> tkfont.actual("systemSystemFont) # Wrong
>>
>> (Actually there was a trailing "+" sign aft the last one because of amissing quote.
>>
>>> tkfont.actual("systemSystemFont") # Wrong
>> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
>>
>> I don't know if I need to update to the current Rcmdr, since this was earlier done without it being loaded.
> No, it's not needed, the test is plain tcltk.
>
>> But I did and then here goes:
>>> require(Rcmdr)> library(tcltk)
>>> .Tcl("font create test")
>> Error in structure(.External("dotTcl", ..., PACKAGE = "tcltk"), class = "tclObj") :
>>  [tcl] named font "test" already exists.
>>> tkfont.actual("test") # Wrong
>> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
>>> tkfont.actual("TkDefaultFont") # OK
>> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size -12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
>>> tkfont.actual("systemSystemFont") # Wrong
>> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
>>
>> I see a "Script Window and an Output Window but admit considerable
>> difficulty with its very non-Mac-ish interface conventions (no cut and
>> paste, unclear what the submit button requires for proper operation);
> Weird, because cut and paste should work AFAIK.
>
>> I seem to be getting the same font being identified when I run these
>> tests from the "Script Window" but the Output Window was not allowing
>> me to copy to the Clipboard in the various efforts I have made. This
>> is the output of the Save Output as ... pulldown menu:
>>
>>> tkfont.actual("test")
>> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
>>
>>> tkfont.actual("TkDefaultFont")
>> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size -12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
> Thanks! So it means you really get Bitstream Vera Sans by default in all
> possible cases. This is unexpected to me, as I thought this font was not
> included by default on Mac OS X. Maybe this is just the default for
> X11... I guess you haven't changed your default font for the system
> (native Quartz apps)?

Nope. Haven't changed any of the defaults:

> quartzFonts()
$serif
[1] "Times-Roman"      "Times-Bold"       "Times-Italic"     "Times-BoldItalic"

$sans
[1] "Helvetica"             "Helvetica-Bold"        "Helvetica-Oblique"
[4] "Helvetica-BoldOblique"

$mono
[1] "Courier"             "Courier-Bold"        "Courier-Oblique"
[4] "Courier-BoldOblique"

> Regards

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA