[R-SIG-Mac] Ugly default Tk font on Mac OS

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Mon Oct 8 21:36:25 CEST 2012

Le lundi 08 octobre 2012 à 12:15 -0700, David Winsemius a écrit :
> <Tcl> test
> > tkfont.actual("test") # Wrong
> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
> > tkfont.actual("TkDefaultFont") # OK
> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size -12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
> > tkfont.actual("systemSystemFont) # Wrong
>
> (Actually there was a trailing "+" sign aft the last one because of amissing quote.
>
> > tkfont.actual("systemSystemFont") # Wrong
> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
>
> I don't know if I need to update to the current Rcmdr, since this was earlier done without it being loaded.
No, it's not needed, the test is plain tcltk.

> But I did and then here goes:
> > require(Rcmdr)> library(tcltk)
> > .Tcl("font create test")
> Error in structure(.External("dotTcl", ..., PACKAGE = "tcltk"), class = "tclObj") :
>   [tcl] named font "test" already exists.
> > tkfont.actual("test") # Wrong
> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
> > tkfont.actual("TkDefaultFont") # OK
> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size -12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
> > tkfont.actual("systemSystemFont") # Wrong
> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
>
> I see a "Script Window and an Output Window but admit considerable
> difficulty with its very non-Mac-ish interface conventions (no cut and
> paste, unclear what the submit button requires for proper operation);
Weird, because cut and paste should work AFAIK.

> I seem to be getting the same font being identified when I run these
> tests from the "Script Window" but the Output Window was not allowing
> me to copy to the Clipboard in the various efforts I have made. This
> is the output of the Save Output as ... pulldown menu:
>
> > tkfont.actual("test")
> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size 12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
>
> > tkfont.actual("TkDefaultFont")
> <Tcl> -family {Bitstream Vera Sans} -size -12 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
Thanks! So it means you really get Bitstream Vera Sans by default in all
possible cases. This is unexpected to me, as I thought this font was not
included by default on Mac OS X. Maybe this is just the default for
X11... I guess you haven't changed your default font for the system
(native Quartz apps)?

Regards