[R-SIG-Mac] cannit get list of binary packages from the GUI

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Mar 17 12:06:06 CET 2012

On Mar 16, 2012, at 7:21 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>> from http://r.research.att.com/, OS 10.7.3
>>> 'Packages and Data',  select 'Package
>>> list of binaries available (I like to keep up
>>> The list for CRAN sources, and for

>>> I second this observation.
>>
>> What is going on is that http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.14/
>>  has an empty PACKAGES file.  Given that it hadn't been updated for
>> a couple of weeks on Weds, you may just need to be patient.  But in
>> any case, only Simon can fix this as only he has sufficient access
>> to the package builder. So reporting to Simon is always going to be
>> the most effective way forward for similar problems.
>>

> Hmm... it's not empty on the master machine -- use http://r.research.att.com
>  as the mirror - it should work ...

Could PACKAGES file be in some damaged state that R cannot process?
When I change the repository to that value  in the R64 GUI and try to
see either either the binary versions or the source versions of
contributed packages in the Package Installer I get these warnings at
the console:

Warning: unable to access index for repository  http://r.research.att.com/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.14

Warning: unable to access index for repository  http://r.research.att.com/src/contrib

I am able to see the .tgz packages at http://r.research.att.com/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.14/
  with Firefox.

I am able to get a list of source packages (but not binary) to display
in the Package Installer if I use a different repository. And I am
able to install binary packages with ... for example:

install.packages("actuar", repo="http://r.research.att.com",
type="mac.binary.leopard")

(Which updated an existing version to the current version.)

Admittedly I am running a somewhat behind the times version, but this
is completely different behavior than it has exhibited up to a few
days ago.

--
David Winsemius, MD

R version 2.14.0 Patched (2011-11-13 r57650)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] splines   stats     grDevices utils     datasets  graphics
[7] methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] rms_3.4-0        Hmisc_3.9-2      survival_2.36-10
[4] sos_1.3-1        brew_1.0-6       lattice_0.20-0

[1] cluster_1.14.1 grid_2.14.0    tools_2.14.0