[R-SIG-Mac] How to delete R session history?

Gruber, Susan sgruber at hsph.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 26 19:07:48 CEST 2012

Hi Mike,

The start-up messages in your email tell you that the workspace was restored from a file named ".RData"
and the history was restored from a file names ".Rapp.history".  Both of these are in the folder "/Users/Mike/Documents".

To delete them, open a terminal window and type
> cd /Users/Mike/Documents
> rm .Rdata
> rm .Rapp.history

Alternatively, this can be done through the GUI itself.
1. Start up R as usual
2. delete everything from the workspace by choosing "Clear Workspace" under the Workspace menu item
3. make the empty workspace your new default by choosing "Save Default Workspace"  (again under the Workspace menu item)

To clear the history, open the history sidebar by clicking on the history icon (to the right of the color-wheel)
1. Click on "Clear History"
2. Click on "Save History"
This will prompt for a file name.  Apparently your installation is set to read the history from a file called ".Rapp.history" in your documents folder, so that is where you should save the history.

Best regards,
Susan