[R-SIG-Mac] suppressPackageStartupMessages() does not work on the command line version R (but works on the GUI version)

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 16:15:40 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2012, at 13:04 , peter dalgaard wrote:
>

>> On Jun 11, 2012, at 12:21 , Peng Yu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> suppressPackageStartupMessages works in the GUI version of R on my
>>> Mac. But it does not work in the command line version of R. Could
>>> anybody take a look what is wrong with the command line version?
>>> Thanks!

>>> ##
>>> ## Markov Chain Monte Carlo Package (MCMCpack)
>>> ## Copyright (C) 2003-2012 Andrew D. Martin, Kevin M. Quinn, and Jong Hee Park
>>> ##
>>> ## Support provided by the U.S. National Science Foundation
>>> ## (Grants SES-0350646 and SES-0350613)
>>> ##
>>
>> Not to put too fine a point on it:
>>
>>> suppressPackageStartupMessages(library(MCMCpack))
>>>

> (in which our ever beloved, user-friendly and helpful OSX Mail application has converted R's prompt character to a vertical bar, as if the ">" were indicating citation from a previous message. Therefore, it is not immediately obvious that the above command does indeed suppress package startup messages....)

It is my mistake for putting the wrong command. Here is the output for
suppressPackageStartupMessages in the command line version R on Mac.

I have had a second person to try it on his system. And he observed
the same behavior. Would you please try it on your system to see if
you get the same behavior?

> suppressPackageStartupMessages(library(MCMCpack))
##
## Markov Chain Monte Carlo Package (MCMCpack)
## Copyright (C) 2003-2012 Andrew D. Martin, Kevin M. Quinn, and Jong Hee Park
##
## Support provided by the U.S. National Science Foundation
## (Grants SES-0350646 and SES-0350613)
##

~$ R --version
R version 2.15.0 (2012-03-30)
Copyright (C) 2012 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)

You are welcome to redistribute it under the terms of the
GNU General Public License versions 2 or 3.
For more information about these matters see
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.

--
Regards,
Peng