[R-SIG-Mac] suppressPackageStartupMessages() does not work on the command line version R (but works on the GUI version)

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 15:47:35 CEST 2012

On Jun 11, 2012, at 13:04 , peter dalgaard wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2012, at 12:21 , Peng Yu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> suppressPackageStartupMessages works in the GUI version of R on my
>> Mac. But it does not work in the command line version of R. Could
>> anybody take a look what is wrong with the command line version?
>> Thanks!

>>> suppressMessages(library(MCMCpack))
>> ##
>> ## Markov Chain Monte Carlo Package (MCMCpack)
>> ## Copyright (C) 2003-2012 Andrew D. Martin, Kevin M. Quinn, and Jong Hee Park
>> ##
>> ## Support provided by the U.S. National Science Foundation
>> ## (Grants SES-0350646 and SES-0350613)
>> ##
>
> Not to put too fine a point on it:
>
>> suppressPackageStartupMessages(library(MCMCpack))

(in which our ever beloved, user-friendly and helpful OSX Mail application has converted R's prompt character to a vertical bar, as if the ">" were indicating citation from a previous message. Therefore, it is not immediately obvious that the above command does indeed suppress package startup messages....)

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com