[R-SIG-Mac] installXLSXsupport() error

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 16 18:43:26 CEST 2012

On 16/07/2012 17:17, Davor Cubranic wrote:
> You didn't have to go through the command line. In the R GUI's
> package installer, if you switched package repository to "CRAN
> (sources)", you would have found XLConnect there too.
>
> You don't mention the version of OS X you're running, but for me with
> Lion and R 2.15.1, I have the same problem. Most binary packages on
> CRAN will not be found, and so I always choose to install from
> source.

That's not true for me.  Currently 3808 binary packages are available
out of 3912 source packages, and all the *binary* packages should be
found (but XLConnect is not one of those).  If you are seeing something
different, do

(a) try the CRAN master
(b) report if R.app is not seeing all the packages there.

The errors can be seen at
http://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_XLConnect.html: it
seems the CRAN Mac build machine does have problems with several
packages using rJava.  Since the latter is Simon's package, he is
probably well aware of it.

It is worth pointing out that Java on OS X is something of a security
nightmare, and maybe especially on Leopard (which the build machine
perforce runs).  A couple of my students have found (the hard way) that
Macs are not immune to malware.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk