[R-SIG-Mac] Lion and X11

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Sat Jan 28 20:57:43 CET 2012

Here is one more confusing issue:

I know that sessionInfo() gives
locale:
[1] C

This was the case when starting R64.app or starting R from the command
line. Following the advice from an earlier topic I did on the command line:
$ defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG en_US.UTF-8

Since starting R on the command line did not change anything I tried
this a couple of times. This did not change anything when starting R
from xterm, but now I the following effect on R64.app.
Here the sessionInfo() now gives
locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

Now I have no idea how to get rid of these locales on R64.app and how to
get the correct locale on R started on xterm.

BTW, I do know the following mails:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2012-January/008945.html
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2012-January/008948.html

The proposed solution is to add in .bahrc:
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

However, I am not sure if this is the correct solution or only a
workaround for the following reasons:
1, I have always installed R-x.pkg from Simon since many years on Tiger,
Leopard, and Snow Leopard and never had to add anything to .bashrc.
2, All my OS X versions are set to US English (and not to German).

So my questions are:
- Why does installing R-2.14.1.pkg on Lion cause the problem with the
locale?
- Did anything change on Lion?
- Do I really have to use the workaround to add above lines to .bashrc?

Best regards
Christian
C.h.r.i.s.t.i.a.n   S.t.r.a.t.o.w.a
V.i.e.n.n.a           A.u.s.t.r.i.a