[R-SIG-Mac] Multiple R versions: set Current via symbolic link: permissions?

Peter Carr pcarr at broadinstitute.org
Thu Jan 26 22:44:25 CET 2012

That thread does help and it provides enough information to solve most of my
problem. However, it is not clear to me how to change the R_HOME directory so
that it is not in the /Library/Frameworks/R.framework directory. This is
important to me because I am providing a tool which will automatically install R
and I don't want my tool to replace an existing version of R.

I tried building from source, and immediately ran into two problems:
     1) I don't know enough to know how to configure my build so that it doesn't
use the Frameworks location
     2) specifically to R 2.5, which I need, I get compiler errors.

I'd like to simply take apart the framework build I get when install from the
R-2.5.1.dmg. However, I'd also like this to work, even when I move this to a
different location on my file system. I appreciate some guidance on this last step.

Thanks,
Peter