[R-SIG-Mac] Multiple R versions: set Current via symbolic link: permissions?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 08:59:17 CET 2012

On 25/01/2012 01:22, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Peter Carr<pcarr at broadinstitute.org>  wrote:
>> I, too, would like to run multiple versions of R, via command line, on Mac
>> OS X. I have looked in vain for a clear explanation of why there can be one
>> and only one 'Current' version of R running at a time.

That is simply untrue, and would be crippling for the R developers if it
were true.

Assuming you have multiple R versions installed, all you need to do is
to invoke their 'R' scripts directly.   There is a problem caused by the
way Simon installs these scripts in frameworks, so e.g.

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/bin/R

starts

#!/bin/sh
# Shell wrapper for R executable.

R_HOME_DIR=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources

but all you have to do is make a copy and change that to e.g.

R_HOME_DIR=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources

[Which is in the thread mentioned.]

And of course, no one said you have to use that particular build of R,
and for serious users of command-line R a personal build will be more
convenient (just like any other platform).

If you have packages which use compiled code they are tied (on OS X
only) to a particular 2.x.* set of R versions, but you can overcome that
easily enough by using different library directories for different
versions of R.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk