[R-SIG-Mac] dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main executable (/bin/ps) is setuid or setgid

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Sat Aug 11 17:32:41 CEST 2012

Colleagues,

I have a large block (26K lines) of R code embedded in a GUI (built in RealBasic).  The code runs fine in OS X (Leopard / Snow Leopard / Lion) and Windows but a user encountered a problem with Mountain Lion (I have not upgraded any of my machines to Mountain Lion yet).  The code appears to run fine, then aborts near the completion of execution.  The R code is written as a series of functions, the final line of code calling those functions.  So, I know that the code has been read in its entirety.  The problem occurs with R 2.15.1.  The machine in question has Xcode 4.4.1 and the latest version of Command Line Tools.

The GUI works by opening a shell, then sending the code to the shell a line at a time.  When the code aborts, the message:
	dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main executable (/bin/ps) is setuid or setgid
appears in a console window.  I have not seen this message before and I don't know if it is the source of the problem.  There are no error messages from R (which there typically would be if there were a problem in the R code).  Instead, the GUI moves to the next step (opening a new shell and executing a new set of R code).

Previously, I encountered a problem in which the quantity of R code overwhelmed the shell (this was a bug in RealBasic).  But, I don't think that this is the problem here since the entirety of code has been read and execution is nearly complete.

I don't know if this is a problem with R or something inherent to Mountain Lion or some bizarre interaction between them (or with Xcode).  If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be most appreciative.

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)